Featured Area is a place where you can highlight the select posts, they are displayed on the main page of your blog in the form of a slider.
By default, Featured Slider is active and displays the latest blog posts. You can easily manage the displayed posts or forgo the slider altogether by simply disabling it.
Ways to filter the posts displayed in the Slider.
- Latest published posts - the default option.
- Filter by category. Go to Appearance > Customize > Featured Area > Categories List - you can select one or more categories. Recent posts from the selected categories will be displayed.
Filter by tags. Go to Appearance > Customize > Featured Area > Tags List - you can select one or more tags. Recent posts tagged with the selected tags will be displayed.
- Display manually selected posts. Go to Appearance > Customize > Featured Area > Posts List - you can select the posts you want to highlight.
Setting up Featured Area.
Go to Appearance > Customize > Featured Area.
- Choose the method of filtering the posts described above.
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Featured Area > Settings. Here you will find the option to completely disable the Slider. In addition, you can also set the number of posts to be displayed here. To display all posts enter "-1" in the "Amount of Slides" field.
How to make sure your Featured Area always looks nice?
A good way is to create a special tag - e.g. "featured". You will tag all posts you wish to highlight with this tag. Then simply check it in the "Tags List" located in Featured Slider options.
Remember to add a Featured Image to every highlighted post. Slides simply look a lot nicer with them.
You will learn how to add a Featured Image to a post here.
For the highlighted post to look good, its Featured Image should be at least 920x520 px.